Tuesday 1 March 2011

Snake In The Grass

...more specifically, a Python.

Continuing on from my Cinema 4D experimentation with metaballs, I abandoned that line of testing, as it wasn't going to be a viable option for the large amount of cells I was dealing with. Alongside Digital Tutors, I returned to Python scripting, trying to 'translate' my MEL script into something useable inside of Houdini.

After almost a week's worth of scripting, fixing things, and re-scripting, the Python/Houdini version of my data-loading script works, creating all of the necessary nodes in Houdini, and keyframing all of the animation. This allowed me to natively create metaballs, rather than try and convert existing scene information. Houdini handles metaballs exceptionally well, adjusting the viewport geometry on the fly (so it doesnt crash regularly like Cinema 4D). Using Mantra, I was able to render out the full 1900 frame image sequence, with frame 1900 shown below;

cellVis_v106_meta_hou

Although I am still learning to use Houdini, I have made breakthrough progress in using the software alongside Python, opening up a whole range of new opportunities. I have started trying to figure out shaders and lighting in Houdini (which seems more difficult than expected), and I created some example 'looks' for my meta-surface, shown below;

cellVis_v106_metaTextures_hou

I am due to meet with the mathematics department this week, where I will present all of my research, ideas, and generated media - bearing in mind, that they have not seen any of the results so far. I am hoping that this meeting will help inform my next steps, and direct my technical understanding to a new visual solution.

No comments: