Monday 18 October 2010

And so it begins...

After speaking with my programme leader/supervisor, I have decided to focus on visualisation and developing my skills and abilities towards this. This will include looking at using things such as Maya's dynamics systems, particles and scripting capabilities - all new to me.

I have chosen to spend Reading Week looking at these particular areas, and have picked two main sources to help lead my practice.

The first of these is a book that came specifically recommended - 'In Silico: 3D Animation and Simulation of Cell Biology using Maya and MEL', written by Jason Sharpe, Charles J Lumsden and Nicholas Woolridge, and published by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers. This book will be used to augment my existing Maya knowledge, and develop skills which are directly related to visualising cell biology.

InSilico

The second source(s) I have chosen, is a set of DVD tutorials from The Gnomon Workshop called Dynamics. There are a great number of these, but I will be trying to start at the beginning and build a strong foundation. I currently have discs 1-3 from the University library to get me started.

GnomonDynamics

Hopefully these sources will get me going in the right direction, as next week I hope to have a meeting with the University's Mathematics department, and possibly start working on a visualisation project with them.

In the meantime, keep your eyes posted for examples of what I've been doing this week... once I've done it of course!

No comments: