Wednesday 20 July 2011

Growth In Stereoscopic?

Growth in stereoscopic? Wouldn't that be interesting...

After creating simple stereoscopic/anaglyph sequences previously (here and here), I decided that the dynamic flowing camera moves that I created for Growth would really take advantage of stereoscopic 3D. These shots are designed to view the cell growth and development from unusual close-up angles, and are animated to 'fly' close to the cell surface.

After speaking to my classmate Mark Haldane (who has previously created anaglyph material) and getting some feedback on previous stereoscopic efforts, I decided I wanted to test how it could look, so started work on setting up a still image.

I tried to enhance the amount of depth created by the stereoscopic camera setup, as there was not enough previously. Because some of my shots had cells moving off the edges of the frame, I wasn't sure how well they would work, but Mark suggested a way I could work around this problem.

Below are two images; the first showing the anaglyph effect applied to the original cell style I was using, and the second showing the effect applied to the new cell style (as a comparison).

growth_anaglyph_before

growth_anaglyph_after

With the Masters show opening just over a month away, I have started thinking about what content will form part of my show. Stereoscopic material is something I would really like to exhibit, but this comes secondary to completing Growth and it's 'Making Of' film.

Dependant on my time, I will continue to experiment with anaglyph renders, and hopefully have something worth showing!

No comments: